This sounds crazy, instant mashed potato crusted fish tacos are INSANELY good! They have a crispy satisfying outer, and so tender on the inside they’re perfect as fish sticks, or even better as fish tacos!
They fry up SUPER crispy. Brayden gave them a test while I was shooting photos for this recipe, and he loved them on their own as fish sticks. So this really is a great all around batter.
I’d imagine this would work great with chicken too. Maybe add some garlic seasoning and parmesan in the instant mashed potato dredge to give it a country fried chicken finger flavor!
They crispiness of these instant mashed potato crusted fish tacos will taco to anything you give it. I love adding a little cilantro lime aioli to top off on my fish tacos. Sometimes add a couple smokey chipotle peppers to add some heat and bold flavor too!
But however you decide to finish these fish tacos off, they’re going to be out of this world! Highly recommend giving this a shot, and if you want another unconventional breading check out my tortilla chip crusted fish tacos.
Instant Mashed Potato Crusted Fish Tacos
- 1 1/2 lbs tilapia
- 2 packages instant mashed potatoes
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 `tsp kosher salt
- 2 cups cooking oil
- 2 cups cabbage shredded
- 2 limes
- 1 1/2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 12 corn tortillas
- Preheat a pan with oil to 375F. Cut up about one and a half pounds of your favorite white fish into taco sized portions.
- Dredge your fish in the first plate of fresh-dried potatoes, then dip the “breaded” fish in the egg wash, then in the taco seasoned fresh-dried potatoes. Repeat until all of your fish is covered.
- In a pan with about 2 cups of vegetable oil heated on medium heat (about 375 F),fry each filet of fish until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Place on a wire rack to cool.
- To make a slaw, thinly slice a head of cabbage and add to a large bowl. Add in the juice of 2 lime, 1 tbsp. of mayo, a handful of chopped cilantro and a pinch of salt.
- Make your tacos and enjoy!