Not gonna lie – this may be a little country fried chicken, and a little chicken fried chicken. But I don’t like the way chicken fried chicken sounds so..
We’re going to call this country fried chicken, ok? ok!
When making mashed potatoes from scratch, fresh corn, and green beans all while frying up some thinly sliced chicken – making gravy may or may not be on your list.
At least for this city boy.
Traditionally Chicken fried chicken is breaded with an egg wash, then topped with a white pepper gravy.
And when your focus is to get your chicken breaded and perfectly fried so that its nice and crispy, you might forget about the gravy.
Luckily I had packs of brown gravy in the cupboard.
GASP I know thats proabably a sin, but desperate times call for deparate measures!.
But the chicken itself is a hit! It’s crispy, full of flavor in the batter – I love using poultry seasoning as my “secret weapon”. You can go traditional, or I like to use Stubb’s chicken rub from time to time.
That, aong with some salt, pepper, smoked paprika and cayenne, makes for some killler country fried chicken.
And if you want a mashed potato recipe – I got you!
Country Fried Chicken
- 4 chicken breasts thinly sliced
- 2 cups flour separated
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tbsp poultry seasonin
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- Slice your chicken breast into 1/2 in thick breast. Or you can pound them thin and cut in half to your preferred size. season with salt and pepper
- preheat about 2 cups of peanut oil in a large cast iron skillet to 375F
- Grab 3 bowls. 1 bowl will have 1 cup of flour, another bowl with 2 eggs, and a third bowl with remaining flour, poultry seasoning, salt, pepper, smoked paprika and cayenne pepper
- dredge each breast with flour, then dip in egg wash, then dredge in the seasoned flour. Place in skillet 1 to two pieces at a time. Cook until golden brown; about7-10 minutes.
- Repeat until all your chicken is cooked. Serve with your favorite sides and enjoy!