This portobello mushroom mac and cheese recipe is what dreams are made of. Loaded with four different kinds of cheese and hearty portobello mushroom.
It’s savory, cheesy, and the perfect way for a grown up to enjoy a childhood classic!
Last month I attend a Expo West, and every year I find new food products that I love.
This year one of the first I went to go find and come home to devour was a baby bella mushroom jack cheese from Sierra Nevada Cheese Company (not sponsored – just really love it!)
I found it at costco, but I believe you can find it in grocery stores too.
I combined it with smoked Gruyere and original jack cheese, and sauteed portobello mushrooms in white wine, garlic and parsley to add into the cheese mixture.
The flavor is insane! All the cheese marry together and with the smell of the mushrooms is fills the house.
I’m not even a huge mushroom fan, but when I tried this cheese, I immediately knew I had to try it in a mac and cheese recipe.
MUSHROOM LOVERS CHECK OUT THIS RECIPE: Filet Mignon With Mushroom Sauce
Plus the wife is a major mushroom fan, so bonus points there, right?
Portobello Mushroom Mac and Cheese
- 1 lb macaroni pasta
- 2 large portobello mushrooms
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tbsp butter 1 tbsp set aside
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 oz jack cheese
- 4 oz aged gruyrere
- 4 oz mushroom jack cheese if you can’t find it sub with jack)
- 4 oz applewood smoked gruyere
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/3 cup panko breading
- Pre-heat oven to 375 F. In a large pot, boil water and add macaroni pasta, boil for about 6 minutes, drain and return to pot and set aside
- Chop 1 mushroom finely, and the other in 1 inch pieces. Add the finely chopped mushrooms into a 12 inch skillet and saute with butter garlic and salt. for about 5 minutes, add white wine and 1 tbsp parsley, and Let simmer for about 2-3 minutes. Pour into a bowl and set aside.
- In the same skillet, melt 1 tbsp butter, then whisk in 2 tbsp flour forming a roux. Whisk in milk and heavy cream, whisking frequently over medium-low heat so that it does not boil.
- When milk thickens up, stir in mushroom mixture and 12 oz of cheese. Add salt and pepper. Once cheese is melted, stir in macaroni.
- Top skillet with remaining cheese, parsley and panko, cover with tin foil and bake in the oven for 20 minutes, remove foil, and continue baking for another 10 minutes. Let cool for about 5 minutes and serve. Enjoy!