Filet Mignon isn’t something I always cook. In my opinion there are better cuts of meat that aren’t so overpriced.
But when you want to impress, or celebrate an occasion, Filet Mignon is always the cut of choice in my book! Especially when paired with an amazing mushroom broth cream!
This Filet mignon recipe cooked in a skillet, then pan basted. Then I put together a mushroom sauce with garlic, shallots, fresh thyme with Pacific Foods Organic Mushroom Broth and a little heavy cream.
Then of course, you have to top this off with sauteed mushrooms!
Making this mushroom cream from scratch rather than using something like condensed cream of mushroom, brings out so much more flavor.
Pacific Foods is the only brand I’ve seen with an actual mushroom broth out there so that I can easily make this cream. Not needing to attempt my own mushroom broth or using a bullion is a major plus!
And sauteed mushrooms and steak go together hand and hand. So topping this off with a full-bodied mushroom cream really ties everything together.
Need to add a quick side to this recipe? Try adding some herb and garlic smashed potatoes!
Filet Mignon With Mushroom Cream Sauce
FOR THE FILET
- 2 1 1/2 inch cut filet mignon
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 4 tbsp butter
FOR THE MUSHROOM CREAM
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup shallot minced
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 cup Pacific Foods Mushroom Broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
FOR SAUTEED MUSHROOMS
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms sliced
- In a small sauce pot, saute garlic and shallots in olive oil for about 2-3 minutes until shallots begin to become translucent. Pour in mushroom broth and heavy cream and season with salt pepper and fresh thyme. simmer for about 10-15 minutes. Stir in corn starch slurry in the last 3 minutes to thicken up.
- While the mushroom cream is simmering. Bring a cast iron skillet to high heat and season both sides of filet mignon with salt and pepper. Place butter in skillet and add in filet. Cook for about 5-6 minutes on each side, occasionally pouring butter over filet with a spoon. Cook until internal temperature is around 135 and take our of skillet and let rest for about 5 minutes.
- While filet mignon is resting, add in more butter and sliced mushrooms to the same skillet. Sautee for about 3-5 minutes and take off heat.
- To serve, pour about 1/4 cut of mushroom cream onto plate, place filet on top, then add a couple more spoonfuls of the mushroom cream sauce. Top with mushrooms and serve. Enjoy!