So lets get one thing out of the way here – Smashed Potatoes, and Mashed Potatoes are two entirely different things. Whaaaat? Yeah I know, the things you learn these days! Now that that’s out of the way.. Smashed Potatoes are freaking amazing!
These Herb and Cheese Smashed Potatoes are a great side dish for dinner, and make excellent leftovers for breakfast with eggs and bacon! They’re simple to make and really hit the spot for all the potato lovers out there!
And if you have a potato lover in your family like my wife, who will literally – or figuratively.. OK probably figuratively – go into withdrawals if she doesn’t get potatoes in her system on a weekly basis. This is the recipe for you!
So smashed potatoes are literally -yes this time actual literally – smashed after boiling them, then I smothered them in a thyme and garlic butter, then Parmesan and cheddar cheese.
Load them up in the oven and let them get crispy!
I used yellow potatoes for this recipe, but feel free to use your favorite potatoes, preferably smaller ones, it makes it easier to smash, I’d imagine using small red potatoes would be delicious too!
This is an awesome comforting side that will go great with a roasted chicken, turkey, or even with a heaping serving of chili smothered over them!
Buttery Herb and Cheese Smashed Potato Recipe
Buttery Herb and Cheese Smashed Potatoes
- 1 lb small yellow potatoes
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parmesan
- 1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Boil your potatoes for about 30 minutes until you can easily poke a fork through them.
- Preheat oven to 425, remove the potatoes from the water and place on a cooking sheet smash each one with a cup, or your fist. or a hammer. Any will do 😉
- In a pan on medium heat melt down butter, garlic and fresh time.
- Once melted, pour the garlic and herb butter over your potatoes.
- Then smother with Parmesan and cheddar cheesee
- Cook for about 15-20 minutes until the cheese is nice and crispy, enjoy!