Don’t shy away when you hear low carb country skillet with Turnips instead of Potatoes. Turnips make an excellent low carb alternative to this dish when you’re craving a potato but need to cut carbs.
Did you know you can use turnips as a low carb alternative to potatoes? I didn’t either until recently. They make awesome fries, and thought,
gotta try them in my favorite breakfast skillet!
Turnips prepare and cook similar to potatoes. I seasoned it a lot like I would a pototato for breakfast.
Topped off with cumin, smoked paprika, salt pepper and some fresh thyme.
It’s a simple approach to a breakfast skillet and really hits that carb craving when you’re doing a low carb diet.
And yes, you guessed it, I’m back on keto. This year really threw me off and I like using this diet as a reset.
It helps drop the weight quickly, and is something easy for me to stick to without feeling like i’m starving myself.
Just starving myself of those beautiful carbs.
We’ll see each other again soon carbs…
These turnips crisp up like a potato, bite simliar to a potato, and beat using cauliflower for every carb replacement when you want to change it up.
Grab some turnips next time you’re doing your grocery order. You don’t want to miss out on this!
Country Breakfast Skillet with Turnips
- 2 large turnips
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 6 eggs
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 6 strips bacon chopped
- 1 clove garlic mince
- Cut bacon into one inch strips, and fry in a 12 inch skillet until brown; do not drain.
- While the bacon is cooking, peel and dice turnips; chop onion and bellpeppers
- add turnips first into skillet with bacon and let brown for about 5 minutes. add in onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Season with salt, pepper, cumin and smoked paprika. Cook for about 15 minutes until turnips are tender.
- Push turnip mixture to one side of your skillet and add 6 scrambled eggs to the empty spot. Season with salt to taste, and let cook until coagulated, stirring every 2-3 minutes.
- Mix egg into turnip mixture, then top with fresh thyme. Enjoy!