This was a last minute idea, but I’m glad I threw a loaded cauliflower casserole recipe together because its beyond delicious. Baked cauliflower loaded with cheese, scallions, sausage bacon and serrano peppers is the perfect low carb side to serve up for spice lovers!
I’m constantly finding myself with leftover bacon/sausage from a breakfast and will normally store it in the fridge for the next morning. But thinking up some sort of holiday low-carb-friendly side I opened the fridge and it was like they were all speaking to me.
And now as I’m typing, I’m also thinking how this would make an amazing breakfast with some eggs the morning after *drool emoji*
This really take no thought or time at all to put together. Take a head of cauliflower (or florets if you have them), top it with a healthy portion of cheese bacon, sausage and scallions and your done.
Now making this recipe I added a little butter and rosemary, thyme and garlic to a pan and pre-sauteed the cauliflower casserole to give it that Thanksgiving/Christmas stuffing vibe.
Because I hate myself and love to do keto during the holidays and thought this would be a great stuffing alternative.
But a loaded cauliflower casserole is perfect for any holiday dinner or potluck to bring – its got a little of everything to please everything as “veggie side”
Cauliflower is such a blank canvas so feel free to add your own twist to this – they go great grilled too. I could even see a completely plant-based take on this, using some Chao from field roast for the cheese, and some beyond beef meat crumbles on top.
But for me I’ll stick with the real thing for the meat toppings.
And don’t sleep on the serrano pepper, it adds such a great kick to your cauliflower casserole. Go easy on it as it goes a long way, but I like to add just enough so you feel the heat on the back end, but not enough so that you’re hit in the face with it.
At least when I make this for parties. When its for myself, I’ll add those peppers on like crazy! I like the burn.
Loaded Cauliflower Casserole
- 1 head cauliflower
- 4 tbsp salted butter
- 2 cloves garlic mince
- 4 sprigs thyme removed from sprigs
- 1/2 tbsp rosemary chopped
- 1 serrano pepper chopped
- 1 1/2 cup shredded cheese more or less to taste
- 1 cup chopped bacon
- 1/2 cup sweet italian sausage
- 1/4 cup green onion chopped
- If using fresh, cook bacon and sausage and set aside. Chop bacon into small pieces
- Break off the cauliflower from the head to make florets, chop down into bite size pieces; about 1-2 inches.
- Add cauliflower to a large pan with butter, garlic, thyme and a spoon full of chopped serrano peppers. sautee on high for about 2-3 minutes.
- Pour cauliflower into a 13×9 baking dish. Top with cheese, bacon, sausage, green onions and remaining serrano peppers if you want more heat. Bake for about 15-20 minutes until cheese is nice and bubbly. Serving size should be about the size of your palm. Enjoy!