When its a lazy night, nothing beats making instant pot shredded chicken. It falls apart, juicy, and goes in just about anything!
This is incredibly simple, using a method similar to my 5 minutes Spanish rice – vegetable broth, onion, garlic and tomato sauce.
For the tomato sauce, you can either use the standard stuff, or sometimes I like to add some heat using el pato. Its spicy so its not something I can use all the time until the kids are fully acclimated to spicy food.
It’s funny because my wife and I LOVE spicy food, but Brayden can’t stand it.
He still freaks out if there is pepper in his food! One day he’ll learn to love it.. one day..
I don’t always bust out the instant pot. I have a love/hate relationship with it. Mostly because of the misleading instant in the name. Call it what it is – a pre-programmed pressure cooker and I’m fully on board.
But when you have to wait 10-15 minutes to preheat, don’t make me think this is instant.
But where it shines is the texture you get from pressure cooking. And of course – having shredded chicken done in 30 minutes that falls apart is a win. And maybe somewhat instant. So touche instant pot.. touche.
Let it thaw over night in the fridge and boil in the bag for 5 minutes and you have an easy dinner ready to go!
If you’re in the market for an instant pot here’s a link to the one I use!
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup yellow onion chopped
- 2 lbs chicken breast boneless skinless
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tbsp oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Set your instant pot to saute, brown onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes. add chicken continue to saute until cycle is complete
- Set instant pot to pressure cook for 18 minutes. Add tomato sauce, then vegetable broth until chicken is covered. Add salt, oregano and cumin. lock lid and let cook.
- Release pressure and strain liquid. Shred chicken with a fork. Add more salt to taste and serve. Enjoy!