Chicken Enchilada Soup is cheesy, hearty and quite addicting. You can add rotisserie chicken in at the end to make this a quicker weekend soup, or let it stew all day with raw chicken and let the flavors really marry together
Either way its a delicious soup that is going to go quick!
As a quick(ish) weeknight enchilada chicken soup all this takes is heating up chicken broth, enchilada sauce and velveeta cheese. Add some spices and chicken and you’re done!
And I know – Velveeta cheese sounds off for some people, but the key to a cheesy soup (or even mac and cheese) is the emulsifying agents that are in this cheese.
You can split fifty-fifty with real cheese if you like, but for this soup its so gooey and amazing as is you may want to give it a shot as written on your first go!
I think what is so cool about this recipe is the use of Masa Harina Flour. It really give is that tortilla flavor to the soup that drives home that chicken enchilada vibe that you’re going to love
You’re going to love this recipe. Chicken enchilada soup is one of my wife’s favorite soups to get at the restaurant so to bring it home that is close to her favorite is a win!
If you’re looking for a good pico de gallo to top with this soup check out this recipe!
Chicken Enchilada Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup masa harina
- 2 cups water `
- 16 oz Velveeta cheese cubed
- 28 oz red enchilada sauce your favorite heat
- 1 rotisserie chicken hand shredded
- 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tbsp cumin
- 1/2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt more to taste
- 1 cup Mexican blend grated cheese Monterey/Cheddar works
- 1/2 cup green onion
- 1 cup Pico de Gallo
- 8 oz tortilla chips
- In a large pot, Sautee onion and garlic for about 2 minutes until fragrant. Pour in chicken broth
- While your brow is simmering, whisk in water into a large bowl with masa until well incorporated. Slowly stir into pot with broth.
- Stir in cubed Velveeta cheese and enchilada sauce along with chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, and salt. Stir occasionally on low heat until cheese is melted
- Stir in hand shredded rotisserie chicken and let simmer on low for at least 5 minutes. Serve with garnishes and enjoy!