If you’re planning on smoking a brisket, be sure to save some of the flat because you’ll want to make a brisket grilled cheese sandwich with those leftovers!
I have a love hate relationship when it comes to brisket. Its a labor of love and sometimes after all that work.
And after all that work, just when you think its perfect, you cut into it and realize – crap. I should have left it on a little longer.
That was me with my last brisket. I slow cooked it for 16 hours, and it felt probe tender, the temperature seemed right, but about a few slices into my flat I realized, it was undercooked.
It didn’t hang, and didn’t pass the pull test. Darn.
So the point is always an easy fix – burnt ends. But how do you salvage the flat?
Thinner slices is always the best bet when salvaging an undercooked brisket, but an even better way, is slathering those brisket slices in cheese, and making a grilled cheese sandwich
Its smoky, cheesy, and when dipped in bbq sauce, its total redemption and highly addicting!
Regardless of your your next brisket comes out, save some of those slices and serve up some brisket grilled cheese sandwiches!
Brisket Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 1 lb smoked brisket flat sliced
- 8 slices cheddar cheese
- 8 slices sourdough bread Texas Toast would be an awesome alternative
- 1/2 cup bbq sauce
- 4 tbsp butter
- Top a slice of breead with cheese, brisket and more cheese. Top with the other slice of bread
- On a heated griddle, melt butter, then add sandwiches. Cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side, until cheese is melted and toast is golden brown
- Serve with barbecue sauce and enjoy!