When I think of balsamic steak and vegetables, it sounds like a summer dish. But here we are, in the middle of November, with a bright and vibrant vetables sauteed in a balsamic dressing, place over a flank steak grilled to perfect.
Why? Keto.. Thats why..
Don’t let the cold months hold you back. If you’re feeling like a grilled dinner, make a grilled dinner? Too cold outside bust out the cast iron skillet and char away my friend! This is a light and satisfying meal that will break up the heaviness of all of our favorite fall comfort foods.
And because I love to torment myself, I went back on the keto diet, before I get out of control heading into peak of eating months, but this is darn good and don’t mind the low carbs whatsoever!
And to keep the family carbo loaded, this is a perfect meal to serve along side some smashed potatoes!
So for the steak I like to go with, flank, flat iron, skirt, or flap meat. These cuts are thin, have plenty of marbling which makes for a nice juicy steak.
Give it a dry bring for a couple hours, season with my Makes Beef Better seasoning, then here’s the real trick part of this.
Toss it in a 50/50 blend of olive oil/balsamic vinegar
I know this is a hard one folks. But it’s SOO GOOD
This can even be done in the oven on a single sheet pan, I’d set the oven to about 400 and let it cook for about 20 minutes or until your internal temperature is at your desired doneness. 145F is my target for medium to medium rare.
155-160F will get you closer to well done if you’re not a fan of the pink center – which is what I have to shoot for on my wife’s cuts.
You get a lovely combo of the tangy full flavor of the balsamic vinegar, with a nice lucious mouth feel from the fat of the olive oil and steak.
Like I said before, balsamic steak and vegetables may not be your idea of a fall/winter dish. But, if you’re in the same boat as I am and trying to keep that winter coat to minimum this is the perfect low carb meal.
Balsamic Steak and Vegetables
- 2 lbs flap meat flank or skirt will work too
- 1/2 lb asparagus cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1/2 lb cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 red onion sliced *optional (not pictured)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- Preheat grill to 450, Season steak with salt an pepper
- Cut asparagus into 1-2 inch pieces. place in a bowl with tomatoes and sliced red onions. Toss in olive, vinegar onion and minced garlic cloves.
- Grill veggies on a vegetable tray and flap meat over direct heat – reserve any extra olive oil and vinegar from bowl.
- Grill steak until internal temperature reaches desired doneness, and vegetables are nice and charred (about 15-20 minutes)
- Slice steak against the grain top with charred vegetables and remaining oil and balsamic vinegar and serve