Now that the holidays are over I’ve been craving something light and fresh. A nice tuna salad avocado boat is exactly what I need to satisfy that craving. It’s light, yet filling at the same time, and makes a great lunch, snack or even a light dinner!
For this recipe I went with a Tuna that was in oil. Normally I’m a solid white albacore guy, but this had a velvety lush texture that really makes this tuna salad avocado boat feel like something special.
I made this similar to my Tuna Lettuce Wrap, but added a little kick with some crushed red pepper. It gives it a little kick – Full of flavor and spicy. That’s pretty much how I like my food!
I don’t know how popular tuna salad is, but when made right, it’s truly one of my favorites. Not sure if it’s because I ate a lot of it as a child, but normally I see people curl their lip in disgust. When made correctly, like this – you’ll love it!
Tuna Salad Avocado Boat
- 2 whole avocados
- 2 cans Chunk white tuna in oil drained
- 1/2 whole red bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 whole green bell pepper chopped
- 2 stalks green onion chopped
- 1/4 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 tbsp cilantro chopped
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp mayonaise
- 1 tbsp course grained dijon mustard
- 1/2 whole lemon
- in a bowl combine tuna, bell pepper green onion, pepper, cilantro, red pepper flakes, Dijon mustard, mayonnaise, and lemon. lightly mixed together. Set in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Cut avocado in half and de-seed. Fill with tuna and sprinkle a little more red pepper flakes and lemon juice to taste. Enjoy!