1 hour 15 minutes
Tri Tip seems to be a little foreign to people outside of California. But if you can get your hands on a tri tip, do yourself a favor and grab it to make this tri tip cheese steak sandwich recipe!
I reversed seared a trip tip, low and slow to get it all nice and smokey. It really comes through and with the rub I gave it makes it perfect for slicing thin for cheese steak!
Make sure you get good bread to hold up to the meaty, cheesiness of this tri tip cheese steak sandwich.
I made the mistake of getting STORE BRAND hoagie rolls. every roll fell apart, and I had to basically piece it together to save the photos.
So yeah. Learn from my mistakes and get the good stuff!
For the seasoning I kept it simple. Kosher salt, coarse black pepper, and a little garlic powder. Let the meat flavor take over since it will be taking on so much bbq flavor from cooking for about 45 minutes before you sear it off.
And you’re loading it up with lovely grilled onions, bell pepper and cheese.
I’d try this out with some slow cooked smoked brisket too!
Grilled Tri Tip Cheese Steak Sandwich
- 1 1/2 lb tri tip
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp coarse black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 bell pepper
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 4 hoagie rolls
- Preheat grill to about 225. If you're using a charcoal grill feel free to add a chunk of hickory or oak wood. Trim tri tip so that there is only about 1/4 inch of fat on the fatty side. Coat with salt pepper and garlic powder and place over indirect heat. Barbecue until internal temperature is 120 F.
- While Tri tip is cooking, slice bell pepper and onions and place in a skillet with a little olive oil. Cook on the grill when tri tip is about 10 minutes away from being done.
- When trip tip hits 120 F, take it off the grates and turn grill hit up to highest heat settings for searing. If using charcoal add open up the vents to get the heat going. Place tri tip over direct heat and seat about 2-3 minutes per side until you have the color you want or until the internal temperature is 135 F. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Slice tri tip thinly against the grain, place in a hoagie roll with cheese and onions and peppers. Place in a broiler or back in the grill to melt cheese. Enjoy!