This is a killer way to do an easy weeknight dinner. Butternut squash soup simmered in cheese, Italian spices, spinach pairs perfectly with fresh cheese tortellini.
I took Pacific Foods Creamy Butternut Squash Soup, which is already a luscious and creamy soup. So it makes a perfect sauce to add to a pasta dish.
I first browned some minced garlic in butter, then poured in Pacific Foods Butternut Squash soup.
I let that simmer with some oregano, basil, granulated garlic and a little salt and pepper.
Then to give things a little kick added cheddar cheese a little red pepper flakes.
I gotta give a quick tip here. During development of this recipe I first tried pre-shredded cheese when simmering this sauce. I found that this actually give the sauce a grainy texture.
Grainy is no bueno.
So use real cheese and grate it to keep that creamy smooth texture alive!
Be sure to check out Pacific Foods website for more recipe ideas as well!
Spinach and Butternut Squash Cheese Tortellini
- 3 cups Pacific Foods Creamy Butternut Squash Soup
- 4 cups cheese tortellini
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 cup cheddar cheese grated
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp granulated onion
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 cup spinach chopped
- Boil 6 cups of water in a medium pot, add tortellini and boil until al dente (check packaging for times). strain and set aside.
- While water is boiling, in a sauce pan melt butter and saute garlic. Stir in Pacific Foods Creamy Butternut Squash Soup, cheese, oregano, basil, granulated onion, salt and pepper. Let simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in cooked tortellini and chopped spinach. Let simmer for another 2-3 minutes. Top with red pepper flakes and serve!