The other week I had a craving for a good spicy gumbo. All those amazing spicy cajun flavors, along with big bites of sausage shrimp and some okra? I’m one happy camper
I put together an easy to follow recipe, by just using already made cajun recipes, then chopping up some veggies and cooking it altogether with some vegetable broth, a few serrano peppers for extra heat and added in some shrimp and okra towards the end.
I went with okra, because i’m a fan of the how it tastes. When cooked correctly, which essentially is not overcooking it, they are really good. They have a hearty flavor and definitely are worth trying out in your gumbo.
A lot of people talk about okra being slimy, but the trick is to give them a saute at a high temperature for a couple minutes, then add at the very end of cooking the gumbo. It definitely adds a little extra flavor and texture to your gumbo!
Same goes with the shrimp. Shrimp can easily overcook and get rubbery. When you’re done simmering your gumbo, add your shrimp in towards the end and let it rest for about 5-10 minutes. Everything will be ready for you to eat once its cooled off enough for you to enjoy!
Spicy Gumbo With Shrimp, Sausage and Okra
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 whole carrots chopped
- 2 whole serrano peppers
- 28 oz canned diced tomatoes
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 4 tbsp cajun seasoning
- 6 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1 cup chopped okra
- 1 lb 31-40 ct. shrimp peeled and deveinend
- 4 links andouille sausauge spicy Louisiana will do too
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- In a large pot, saute garlic, peppers, onions, carrots in oil for about 10 minutes.
- Add sliced sausage, tomatoes, broth and cajun spices and bring to a boil. Let simmer for about an hour.
- In a separate pot melt butter, and gradually stir in flour; about 2 minutes. Pour in milk and broth and whisk until smooth. Stir into gumbo. Added sausage.
- In a pan fry okra for about 3-5 minutes. Add into gumbo with shrimp and chopped scallions. Take the pot off of heat
- Let sit fr about 10 minutes. Once shrimp is nice and opaque pour over cooked rice in a bowl and serve. Enjoy!