I don’t know if you can tell or not, but we kinda have a thing for Mexican food in our house. I’ve never actually thought about it until know, but I’m almost positive we eat Mexican food at least once a week. From a burrito, to enchiladas, to these awesome Spicy Fajitas!
Maybe it’s because I live in Southern California, and have been exposed to amazing Mexican food since I was a kid. My mother’s go to recipes, if it wasn’t Italian, it was Mexican recipes. They’re just so delicious and simple to make – especially Fajitas! I just have a special place in my heart for cooking up good Mexican food at home.
The best part about Fajitas is they’re so simple to make, full of flavor and fresh ingredients, and it’s up to you on what you want to put in them. Don’t want chicken? Try steak or shrimp! Want to go Vegetarian? Crank up the veggie portions or maybe add in some tofu, or tempeh! As long as you have an awesome fajita seasoning it’s going to come out great!
Speaking of fajita seasoning, I’ve come up with a pretty awesome seasoning in this recipe that you’re going to love! It’s got that familiar fajita flavor that you all know and love, with an added punch with some cayenne pepper! You’re going to want to double up on the batch and store it for later! It’ll come in handy when you need to get a fast dinner going on a weeknight!
Get A Head Start.
This is already a pretty quick recipe, but if you want something SUPER fast to cook on a weeknight, do you’re prep on Sunday night. It’ll keep for about 2-3 days in the fridge, although I’d definitely recommend cooking it the next night for peak freshness! Having your prep work already done should allow you to get a full dinner on the table in under 15 minutes with sides like a can of refried beans, and some Easy Spanish Rice
Serve Family Style!
Maybe I’ve seen one too many fajita plates ordered at restaurants, but I love the sound of fajitas sizzling and being brought to the table. So keep it easy on yourself and bring everything to the table and let the family dig in and serve themselves! Plus, it’s kinda cool for the kids to watch the fajitas coming to the table making the sizzling sounds, so use a cast iron skillet!
On To The Recipe
Spicy Chicken Fajitas
- 2 whole chicken breast
- 1 1/2 whole assorted bell peppers
- 1/2 whole yellow onion
- 8 flour tortillas
Spicy Fajita Seasoning
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp golden brown sugar
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Slice your chicken into 1/2 inch strips length wise. Place in a container and set aside.
- Slice your bellpeppers
- Slice your onion, and place in a separate container and set aside.
- Combine all your fajita seasoning ingredients in a container.
- With your chicken and vegetables in separate containers, add about 2 tbsp of fajita seasoning to each container and mix so that it's evenly incorporated.
- In a skillet or pan heated to about medium heat, add in the chicken.
- Brown for about 3-4 minutes
- Add in your veggies and stir for about another 4 minutes. At this point I'll taste it and see if the seasoning is to my liking. There's plenty of fajita seasoning left to stir in a little more if you want more spice!
- Serve on tortillas with some sour cream or guacamole and enjoy!