Totchos are such a great way to change things up on a weeknight. Or the weekend. Or anytime really. Tater tots instead of chips in nachos? SO simple, and so satisfying!!
These Spicy Cheese Steak Sweet Potato Totchos are a concoction that I came up with based off of my Chicken Saltado recipe. And they came out amazing! They have a Peruvian spice to it using some Aji pepper (which you can always substitute with Serrano pepper).
They have so much flavor too from the tomato, red onion, soy sauce and vinegar cooked into the steak. But what really takes this over the edge is the chimichurri style topping that I put together blending what was left in the pan from cooking the steak with cilantro and lime.
It’s got a beautiful spice and flavor that is going to be a hit for you spicy lovers out there!
I went with sweet potato tater tots, to make this on the “healthy” side. which is really isn’t too bad for you. This is a pretty lean meal and the bulk of the carbs are coming from the sweet potato, which great for giving you a bunch of energy if you’re looking for a decent pre-workout meal.
The best part about this recipe is how easy it is to coordinate each part of the meal. Prep your veggies and meat while the oven is preheating. Cook the veggies and meat while the tots are baking. Blend your chimichurri while cheese is melting over the steak and tots in the oven. Super simple!
Quick note: I initially used Alexia brand sweet potato tots, only because they’re so easy to find at the grocery store. My biggest gripe about these however is how sweet they are – there’s 23g of sugar per serving!
Make sure you pay attention to how much sugar is in whichever sweet potato tots, you’ll want something with a lower sugar count to balance the flavor. Even try making your own!
Spicy Cheese Steak Sweet Potato Totchos
- 1 lb frozen sweet potato tater tots
- 1 lb lean beef I used sirloin
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 medium red onion coarsely chopped
- 2 whole roma tomatoes coarsely chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 whole serrano pepper sliced
- 1 bunch cilantro should be about 1 cup
- 1 medium lime
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 8 oz mozerella cheese grated
- Begin with cooking your tater tots, Preheat the oven to the required temp (mine needed 425).
- While the oven is preheating, slice your beef into 1/2 inch strips, placing into a small container with minced garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, paprika, 1/2 of your lime juiced, soy sauce and red wine vinegar.
- Slice your Serrano pepper, chop tomatoes and onion.
- Your oven should be pre-heated by now. Place your tots in the oven on a baking sheet and cook at the quickest time recommended (mine was 20 minutes)
- In a pan at medium-high heat with 2 tbsp olive oil, cook your steak with all the soy sauce/vinegar mixture, and veggies. Cook for about 7-10 minutes until meat is slightly pink.
- When your tots are ready take them out of the oven and set oven temperature to 375F. With tongs, take all steak from the pan and place on top of the tater tots around the baking sheet. You can place some of the veggies to be leave some for the chimichurri.
- Top the tots, steak and veggies with mozzarella cheese and place back in the oven until the cheese is nice and melted; should be about 5 minutes.
- While the totchos are cooking, place the remaining veggies and juice from the pan into a food processor with a bunch of cilantro and the other half of your lime juiced. pulse for about 1 minute.
- Take the totchos out of the oven and serve up with a few spoonfuls of that chimichurri style sauce you just blended. Enjoy!