Who says stuffing can’t be spicy? I’ve put together a jalapeno cornbread stuffing that is loaded with flavor and tons heat for the spicy lovers coming to celebrate thanksgiving. Definitely one of my favorite ways to do stuffing!
When my wife and I first started living together, I started growing jalapenos in our little back yard. By the time fall came around I had so many jalapenos I didn’t know what to do with them!
Come thanksgiving, we had a little party and I made a stuffing with jalapenos in it and was surprised how much of a hit it was with our guests.
That was about 6 years ago. So why am I just now sharing my bacon jalapeno cornbread stuffing on the blog? Because I’m selfish and didn’t want to share!!!
Seriously though, this cornbread stuffing definitely has a good kick to it, with a jalapeno, and a Fresno pepper for color (and a different dimension of heat and flavor). It’s got a nice smokiness at the end with the help of some bacon.
For the bacon, I used cottage bacon, which has a little different flavor to it, and more meat than fat. Still smokey and delicious. Any bacon will do of course, but if you can get your hands on some cottage bacon, definitely give it a try!
Also, if you have any leftover. Try turning them into stuffing fritters!
Of course I’ll be serving up some plain old fashion stuffing this Thanksgiving, but you better believe I’ll be cooking up a second batch of my jalapeno cornbread stuffing and serving it as well.
And anyone I see at the table with a little bead of sweat on their forhead will get the nod from me.
Spicy Bacon Jalapeno Cornbread Stuffing
- 12 oz cornbread stuffing or 1 box
- 2 sticks butter
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 lb bacon or more.
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 large jalapeno
- 1 large fresno pepper
- 1 large potato
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 medium shallot
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Preheat Oven to 350° F. Cook bacon in a pan on medium heat. Chop celery, peppers, jalapeno, garlic, and shallot. Cut potato into small cubes. Chop bacon when ready.
COOKING ON THE STOVE
- In a second oven friendly pan or skillet melt butter with celery, peppers,garlic, shallot, potatoes, and salt. Cook until veggies are tender; about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil; stir in cornbread stuffing until evenly incorporated.
FINISH IN THE OVEN
- Cover skillet with tin foil and place in center rack for 40 minutes, removing tin foil in the last 10 minutes to make the top a little crispy. Enjoy!