4 hours 10 minutes
Shredded Chicken Nachos slow cooked for 8 hours and piled with all the fixins is perfect for game day snacks or an easy weeknight dinner
I love me some nachos, but I think my tastes have acquired as I have matured with age. Gone are the days of topping a mountain of cheese on some chips and nuking them for 60 seconds.
Ok. I lied.
I could always go for some plain cheese nachos. But sometimes you’ve got to take your game to the next level and get a little fancy with these shredded chicken nachos!
This recipe is great to do on the weekdays. The chicken can be thrown in the crock pot in the morning, and by the time everyone is home you’ve got yourself some shredded chicken ready to place on nachos.
The chicken has some heat to it, but it’s nothing overwhelming so it’s safe for the spice-intolerant members of the family too!
Prep is pretty easy for this meal. Toss all the chicken crock pot ingredients in. Let it slow cook in a crock Shredded Chicken Nachos are one of my go-to easy dinners. Throw your chicken in a slow cooker in the morning, and by the time you get home everything is ready to rock pot for about 6-8 hours.
OR, you can get it done in about an hour pressure cooked in an instant pot!
When you get home, prep the rest of the ingredients, pre-heat the oven and you’re ready to rock!
This is just a suggestion, if you have time to do a full guac by all means go for it. But mixing in some pico de gallo (especially mine if you have it on hand) into some ripe avocados gives you guacamole with no prep work and little mess to deal with in 60 seconds!
When cooking this, I placed these on plates that could handle being in the oven.
This makes cleanup and serving a lot easier so if you have plates and room in the oven to do it this way I highly recommend it.
Feel free to add any other toppings into this recipe and be sure to let me know how you made them!
Slow Cooked Shredded Chicken Nachos
- 2 lbs chicken breast
- 1 whole yellow onion coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 8 cups water depends on crock pot size, just fill it up to cover the chicken
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 2 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cayanne pepper
- 3 whole dried guajillo peppers
- 1 medium size bag corn tortilla chips
- 8 oz cheddar cheese grated
- 16 oz can black beans
- 8 oz sour cream
- 8 oz mango salsa
- 4 medium avocados
- 2 tbsp pico de gallo
- Add chopped onions, garlic, chicken, seasoning, along with water and guajillo peppers in a crock pot. Let cook for 6-8 hours on low.
- When the chicken is ready preheat the oven to 350. Mash up the avocado and mix in some pico de gallo to do a quick guacamole!
- Drain the canned black beans
- Take the chicken out a shred with a fork. It should fall apart with no resistance.
- On a oven save plate, or cooking sheet, spread a layer of chips, then black beans then chicken.
- Cover it all with shredded cheese and place in the oven.
- Cook in the oven for about 15-20 minutes, serve with guacamole sour cream and salsa, I used some mango salsa. Enjoy!