So we just got back from a mini-vacation this weekend, driving all over central California. It was a blast, but after a few days of having a lot of fast food or restaurant food, you come back feeling a little heavy. When we got home we were craving something light, and healthy, so I threw together an awesome shrimp rice bowl with some sweet teriyaki glaze and a sriracha vinegar combo to add a little kick!
If you’re familiar with Flame Broiler, and their “magic sauce”, it’s so addicting. My sauces that i put together are a copy of the two magic sauces you can find at this restaurant, and you’ll be surprised how easily they are to make at home. It’s a basic teriyaki sauce with more sugar to sweeten it up, and the spicy sauce is basically sriracha with a little vinegar to thin it out and add a tanginess to the sauce that compliments any rice bowl style dish!
This is a super quick meal to prepare, by the time your rice is done cooking in your rice cooker, you can have the shrimp cooked, sauces prepared, and vegetables steamed making this a great week day meal all to make all year around! If you want to make this an even more painless meal to cook up, make your sauces a head of time and store them in a condiment bottle. This isn’t going to be the only meal you’ll want to have these sauces around for!
The shrimp is cooked with just a little butter and lemon, just enough flavor so they don’t take away from the sauces, but still hold on their own. Don’t be afraid to experiment with this as well. It was actually cold for once in California when I cooked this, so I didn’t feel like firing up the grill, but on a warm day, grilling the shrimp will bring a wonderful dynamic to this recipe!
If you’re not a seafood fan, the protein can be replaced with anything you like: tofu, beef, and of course chicken! I also recommend trying this with brown rice, and topping it off with some fresh green onions, it’s my favorite!
On To The Recipe
Shrimp Rice Bowl With Sweet Teriyaki Glaze
Shrimp Veggie Bowl
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 3/4 cup water
- 1 lb shrimp raw, 31-40 ct
- 1 whole lemon
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 cups assorted vegetables
Sweet Teriyaki Glaze
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 tsp corn starch
- 1/2 cup sriracha sauce
- 1/8 cup rice vinegar white or apple cider will do as well
- Get your rice in the rice cooker with water and turn it on, while that is cooking bring soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic powder, and ground ginger to a boil while stirring frequently; reduce to a simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the mixture of water and cornstarch to the teriyaki to thicken it up into a glaze, cook down on low for another 5 minutes.
Shirmp and veggies
- While the teriyaki is cooking, squeeze the lemon juice over your shrimp, and bring some water to a boil to steam the veggies.
- Add your veggies to the steamer and steam for about 2 minutes; set aside.
- While the veggies are steaming, melt butter in a pan and cook your shrimp; about 3-5 minutes and set aside.
- Mix the sriracha with the vinegar; you don't want it too watery, but not as thick as sriracha is out of the bottle. it should look like a thick Tabasco sauce.
Putting it all together
- Once your rice is done, you're ready to plate! Rice on the bottom, veggies next, then shrimp. Serve the teriyaki and sriracha on the side and enjoy!