1 hour 30 minutes
Ok, this is one of my favorite spring time meals: Shrimp Orzo Pasta Salad! Cooked Shrimp mixed in with fresh bell peppers and vegetables with a home made oil and vinegar dressing, is makes a great weekend lunch, or a side dish to bring to a barbecue!
Cook Your Own Shrimp
You can definitely buy precooked shrimp. The issue I have with precooked shrimp is 1) It’s flavorless and most of the times already frostbitten and 2) It’s more expensive than raw shrimp.
It’s easier than you think to boil shrimp that is succulent and perfect for a shrimp cocktail or any dish that requires cold shrimp. In this recipe I’ll go over this method of cooking shrimp, but like i said earlier, feel free to use precooked shrimp!
On To The Recipe
Shrimp Orzo Pasta Salad
- 1 lb shrimp 31-40 ct
- 2 tbsp salt
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup red onion thinly chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 4 medium bell peppers 1 of each color
- 8 oz can sliced black olives optional
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- Begin getting about 4-6 cups of water boiling for your pasta
- While that is happening chop up your bell peppers
- Slice your tomatoes in half. Water should be ready too cook the pasta. Cook for about 9 minutes (or however long the box suggests)
- While the pasta is cooking, mix all the oil and vinegar ingredients together and set aside
- When the pasta is ready, strain and mix in a little olive oil into the pasta to keep it from sticking. Set aside.
- In a large pot get about 6 cups of water with 2 tbsp of salt mixed together and set on high heat.
- Get a bowl ready with water and ice in it.
- Once the water is hot enough that when you put your finger in, you pull it away after 1-2 seconds, dump he shrimp in.
- Stirring frequently, remove the shrimp after about 3-4 minutes, it should be opaque and red.
- Immediately place the shrimp in the bowl of ice cold water.
- Place everything into a large bowl and mix together. Slowly add the oil and vinegar mix into the pasta. Taste it every so often until it gets to the flavor you desire. I added a little more salt at the end.
- If you can, set this in the fridge for about an hour to let it cool down and to allow the flavors marry together. Enjoy!