Homemade Mac and cheese is one of those dishes that is for some reason, one of those recipes that you just can’t replicate in a restaurant or off the shelf. It’s also a good dish to add other things in like, veggies, and, oh – I don’t know.. BACON!
Sometimes its INCREDIBLY hard to get our son to eat vegetables – well anything for that matter. He’s at that picky stage in his development where he pretty much wont eat anything if it isn’t plain, loaded with sugar, or bread.
It sure does make my life of cooking meals AMAZING! – _ –
So I’ll try ways to hide vegetables in dishes that he likes, which Mac and cheese is on the top of his list of things he loves. So, adding a little cauliflower into the dish is my latest attempt to get some veggies in him!
Was I successful? Not so much.. He love the cheese, love the noodles, found the bits of cauliflower and said “nope!”
Even as an adult mac and cheese, this one is solid – lots of flavor from the smoky bacon and the roasted cauliflower gives some added texture and flavor, plus shaves some carbs off, which lightens it up a tad.
I also kept the milk on the lighter side, so if you like creamier mac and cheese, just double up on the serving.
Which is what I did on the second day. This mac and cheese recipe AMAZING leftovers, and I added a little more milk and cheese the second day to make it creamier, just to make it a little different on Day 2!
So will this roasted cauliflower mac and cheese recipe be that one dish that gets your kids to eat their vegetables? Maybe, maybe not – I don’t care what anyone says there’s not one tried and true way to get a picky kid to eat their veggies. But you keep trying new things until you find something that sticks!
What’s your trick to get your picky kids to eat? I’m dying over here and would love to hear some ideas!!
And for those who just want to eat the crap out of this tasty looking dish..
Roasted Cauliflower Mac and Cheese Recipe
Roasted Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- 4 strips bacon
- 8 oz shell pasta
- 12 oz cauliflower florets
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup gruyère cheese
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp granulated onion
- 1/4 cup panko
- With your oven preheating to 425F, begin cooking bacon, and bring water to a boil.
- place your cauliflower florets on a baking sheet, and place in the oven (about 10 minutes). When the water comes to a boil, cook your pasta.
- Drain pasta, chop bacon. Your cauliflower should be done at this point as well; Set everything aside. Reduce heat to 375F.
- in a dutch oven melt butter down with a clove of minced garlic.
- Begin to stir in pasta and cauliflower.
- Stir in Gruyere, cheddar and Parmesan cheese, milk, granulated onion, and bacon (leaving a little bacon aside)
- top with remaining bacon, and panko. Bake at 375 for about 10-15 minutes, until the top is golden brown.
- Serve and enjoy!!!