I’ve been craving a good cheeseburger lately – something a little different. So this weekend I whooped up a teriyaki burger, with a Hawaiian style grilled pineapple and portabella teriyaki sauce topping to make this burger sing!
Using some canned pineapple slices, fresh portabella mushrooms, and my favorite hawaiian teriyaki sauce, I had a simple concoction slather over my burgers that gives you a taste of sweet, and a little umami, with a mouthful of juiciness.
This is definitely one of my top 5 burgers to make at home!
I grilled the pineapple and portabella mushrooms before adding them in a skillet with the teriyaki sauce on the top rack to warm. While my burgers were grilling with a little cheddar cheese on top, I had my Hawaiian roll hamburger buns toasting on the side-burner.
Yeah there wont be calorie counting on this meal.
For my picky four-year-old of course, it was plain cheeseburger as per usual. But that day he actually wanted a little ketchup and pickles on his burger.
I can’t believe it! *choke* My little boy is growing up!
If you decide to go for super teriyaki burger..
My rendition of this teriyaki burger uses cheese, if you’re the hamburger type of person, I highly suggest basting your burger in the teriyaki sauce to add even more flavor to this awesome burger.
I’ll accept thank you’s in the form of coffee thanks you very much!
If teriyaki burgers aren’t your thing, check out this grilled cheese burger recipe with a bacon and blue cheese red cabbage slaw! Another one of my favorites is my bacon and caramelized onion whiskey burger!
Grilled Pineapple Portabella Mushroom Teriyaki Burger
- 1 lb 80/20 ground beef
- 6 slices canned pineapple
- 2 whole portabella mushroom sliced into 1 inch strips
- 1 cup teriyaki sauce
- 4 whole Hawaiian style hamburger buns
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- heat grill with direct heat on one half of the grill. Form 4 patties, seasoning with salt and pepper on each side.
- Place pineapple and mushroom on the grill, 1 minute on each side. Place in a skillet with teriyaki sauce, chopping up the pineapple and mushroom with a spatula. Place on the top rack of your grill.
- Place patties on direct heat, flip after one minute and continue to sear for another minute. Move patties to indirect heat and place cheese on top. Optionally you can brush on teriyaki in stead of using cheese. Cook for about 5-7 minutes until reach desired doneness or 165F
- with a little butter on the the bottom of each bun, place on the indirect heat, or a cast iron griddle on the side burner until buns are nice and toasted.
- Place burger on bun with any condiments you like, followed by a healthy topping of the pineapple portabella mushroom teriyaki sauce. Enjoy!