1 hour 10 minutes
Meatloaf is something I haven’t had since I was younger, but have been really craving. My mother used to make it with Parmesan cheese and I wanted to recreate it for the blog. I think this is as close as I’m going to get!
There’s some weekends where you feel like doing absolutely nothing and having some good old fashioned comfort food that reminds you of when you were a kid. And this meatloaf recipe is just that.
Meatloaf isn’t something I have often, but sometimes you just need to have a good plate of meatloaf with a side of mashed potatoes to eat them with.
I make my meatloaf with some Italian seasoned bread crumbs and loads of parmesan cheese like how my mother made it. But to add a little something extra I put some mozzarella cheese on top to give it a little something extra.
And as a kid I’d always eat it with a heaping amount of ketchup, so you gotta have that!
Also here’s a little trick I like: PULVERIZE any vegetables (i.e. onions and carrots) that you plan on putting in your meatloaf if your kids are picky and super particular about texture.
You still get the flavor, and you don’t get your kids picking at the food asking “what is this” in their “burger”
I think next time I make a meatloaf I’m throwing it in the smoker, but for a “once in a decade” recipe, this is a solid recipe you’ll want to try out!
Meatloaf with Parmesan Cheese
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 yellow onion finely chopped
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella optional
- Preheat oven to 375F. In a bowl, combine ground beef, onion, garlic, ketchup, mustard, salt pepper, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and eggs. Mix well with your hands until evenly incorporated.
- Place meat mixture in a 8 x 4 inch loaf pan and round the top to form a "loaf. Top with a thin layer of ketchup, and mozzarella.
- bake for about 45-60 minutes until the center internal temperature reads 155-160 F . Let it rest for about 5-10 minutes. It will continue to cook and come up to about 160-165 F. Slice and serve!