This post is sponsored by Gardein but the content and opinions expressed here are my own.
Beef isn’t a meat we eat much of in our house. I’m pretty much the only person in the house that enjoys red meat. So being the short-order restaurant that my kitchen usually becomes, I have to find alternatives to make everyone happy! My lasagna recipe is no exception. Normally I’ll throw a good amount of ground beef in, but sometimes ground beef can get really expensive! So on the weeks when the sales are just right, I go meatless!
Gardein provides a healthy, non-GMO, plant-based protein that is also better for the planet! It takes 1,799 gallons of water to produce just 1 lb of beef. That’s the amount needed for 60 showers! Conversely, it only takes 52.8 gallons to produce 1 lb of Gardein. (source: Water Foot Print Research Methodology for beef usage).
They’re also giving out $1 coupons off their products so grab one here!
But let’s talk about my favorite part about this product: it cooks from frozen! I’ve never been able to do a lasagna in 30 minutes, and this recipe I got EXTREMELY close. Cooking from frozen, simmering in my Marinara sauce, and using Oven-Ready Lasagna noodles, prep was easily 10 minutes, and the oven time was roughly 25-30 minutes!
The texture of Gardein’s The Ultimate Meatless Ground, was identical of beef ground, and it absorbs the flavor really nice. Especially in a recipe like this, if you’re an average carnivore like myself, you won’t notice the difference. I definitely enjoyed the flavor of this product and it made this recipe come out pretty darn good!
Not much to the prep, It is super quick to throw this recipe together. If you want to make this super simple on a weekday, prep the whole dish ahead of time, and place in the fridge, then throw it in the oven during the week and you have a hands-off meal ready for the family in 30 minutes easily!
I did use oven ready lasagna, to cut out boiling time, and it made a world of difference in making this recipe a quick one! If you do plan on prepping a head of time, you may want to use standard lasagna noodles, as I’m not sure how these would fair sitting in the fridge soaking up the sauce.
On To The Recipe
- 12 pieces lasagna noodles
- 24 oz cottage cheese
- 1 bag Gardein Ultimate Meatless Ground
- 3 cups marinara sauce
- 1 whole egg
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- While the Oven is preheating to 375, stir frozen Gardein Meatless Ground into 2 cups simmering marinara sauce.
- Add the remaining 1 cup of sauce and let simmer for about 3 minutes.
- While the sauce is simmering, stir cottage cheese in with 1 egg, oregano and basil, and about 1/4 cup of mozzarella.
- in a 13x9 pan, spread a thin layer of the sauce mix on the bottom of the pan, then stack 4 noodles across, cottage cheese mix, and sauce mix. Repeat this twice.
- One the final layer just add the remaining sauce mix (there wont be too much left, just a thin layer. Then top with the remaining layer of cheese. I also like to add a little more oregano and basil to the top.
- Cover with foil and cook in the oven for about 25 minutes. Finish 5-10 minutes un-covered. And that's it serve and enjoy this meatless meal!