The best scalloped potatoes I’ve had so far. They are loaded with savory flavor using 3 cheeses, bacon, and cream of mushroom. Plus a little bit of heat with the add of jalapeno!
This is one of those side dishes that I feel I had A LOT of as a kid. Almost to the point of being over them. Unlike spaghetti, which was the only thing I never got tired of…
I haven’t made scalloped potatoes in such a long time, I felt I needed to give them another go.
Taking what my mom used to do, but adding a my favorite things to them (bacon and jalapeno) I think I’ve gotten back on the scalloped potato train!
Whats perfect about this recipe is you can make it ahead. Cut it up into servings and freeze it. Then reheat and serve on a weeknight.
NOTE: Even though I normally suggest soaking your potatoes (see why you’re hash browns are grey and gummy), you’ll want to avoid doing this. You’ll need that starch in the potatoes to get the cheese sauce to thicken up while baking!
But with the holidays just around the bend, scalloped potatoes a perfect side dish to bring out and serve to the family.
And if you’re looking to reuse some leftovers, I highly recommend replacing the bacon with some leftover ham. It’s amazing!
QUICK TIP: If you want to cut down prep time, I highly recommend getting a mandoline slicer. You’ll have evenly slice potatoes quick and easly!
Jalapeno Bacon Scalloped potatoes
- 3 Pound Russet Potatoes
- 8 Slices Bacon
- 2 medium Jalapenos diced
- 1 1/2 Cups Heavy Cream
- 2 Cloves Garlic minced
- 1 ½ tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 3/4 Cup Cheddar Cheese grated
- 3/4 Cup Pepper Jack Cheese grated
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated or flakes
- In a large sauce pan, cook bacon, and drain pan, leaving about 2 tbsp of bacon grease. Add in cream, garlic, salt, pepper, cream of mushroom soup, cheddar and pepper jack cheese. stir until creamy and smooth. Set aside
- Peel and slice potatoes to about 1/8 inch thickness. Place about half of them into a 13×9 greased baking dish. Then add half of the cheese sauce, followed by half of the bacon (crumbled) and jalapeno. Repeat this step for the second layer.
- Top with Parmesan cheese and more cheddar cheese if desired. Bake at 350 for about 50 minutes. Remove foil and place in the broiler for about 3-5 minutes until top is nice and browned. Let cool for about 10 minutes and serve!