These Italian stuffed peppers are crammed with ground beef, Arborio rice, oregano, basil and other Italian spices and mozzarella cheese. I’m so excited about how well this recipe turned out I had to get it posted ASAP to share!
The filling for these stuffed pepper almost remind me if Bolognese had less sauce, and rice in it. I started with sweating down some shallot and garlic in a little oil, then add in some chopped bell peppers.
Meanwhile I browned ground beef in a separate pan to get that going to save a little time. Once its browned and grease is drained, I added ground beef into the pan with the shallots.
Then just mix in some arborio rice along with some chicken broth, a little marinara, and some Italian spices – My Sunday Spaghetti Night Blend goes perfect with this!
Takes about 15-20 minutes to simmer. Perfect time to prep your peppers and preheat the oven.
Once the rice is ALMOST done, its time to stir in some shredded mozzarella and stuff the peppers.
I’m more of an “open face” stuffed pepper kind of guy. It’s easier to stuff, cook and eat.
And if you’re going to top it off with a little more marinara and cheese, you can more real estate to work with.
Normally when I make stuffed peppers, I’m going with more of a Mexican-influenced flavor profile, but changing it up and going with Italian style flavors really hits the spot.
And it makes the house smell amazing! You’ll walk in and you’d think your Nona was in the kitchen making dinner. And I don’t even have a Nona!
Italian Style Stuffed Peppers
- 1 medium shallot
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 2 tbsp italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp salt
- 3 whole bell peppers
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella more to taste
- Finely chop shallots, and garlic, then add into a pan on medium heat with olive oil and cook for about 2 minutes; stir in chopped bell peppers and continue to cook for about 5 minutes
- While the aromatics are cooking, brown ground beef in a separate pan and drain when fully cooked. Pour ground beef into the pan with your aromatics.
- Add in arborio rice, chicken broth, marinara, Italian seasoning and salt. Cover and reduce to a simmer. Cook until rice absorbs all the broth.
- While the filling is cooking, cut bell peppers length-wise. and scoop out seeds and pith with a spoon. Preheat oven to 350 F.
- When filling is done cooking, stir in mozzarella cheese. Scoop in the filling into each bell pepper and place on a sheet pan, or casserole dish. Top each stuffed bell pepper with a little more marinara and cheese. Cook for 20-25 minutes until cheese is melted and bell peppers are tender.
- Optionally, top with fresh basil and serve