Irish beef stew is a comfort food that needs to be made this time of year. Its what you expect of a beef stew, but with a kick of extra flavor from a lovely dark beer.
Traditionally, Irish beef stew uses lamb, but we’re not big lamb fans in our house.
So this beef stew is made with chuck roast, and to make this an easy weekend meal, I’ve made it in the instant pot.
The broth on this irish stew is has such an amazing flavor, and I’m a huge fan of using a dark beer, like Guinness in this stew.
Even if you use some leftover corned beef from your St. Paddy’s Day dinner, that would be an awesome protein substitution. Either way this is so delicious and worth cooking up!
Irish Beef Stew
- 2 lb chuck roast cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/3 cup flour
- 24 oz beef broth
- 12 oz dark beer
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 1/2 lb red potatoes
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- With your IP preheating to Saute, roughly chop onion and celery. season chuck roast with 1 tsp of salt and pepper and flour.
- Brown chuck roast in the IP until brown on both side, remove chuck roast cubes and deglaze Instant Pot with dark beer.
- Add chuck back into Instant pot along with beef stock, veggies, potatoes and seasonings.
- Close lid and set to pressure cook for 25 minutes. Allow another 5-10 minutes for pressure to release