Today, we’re diving into the exciting world of salads with my Cilantro Lime Grilled Steak Salad – a salad that’s not just for the health-conscious but also for those who crave bold flavors and a touch of adventure.
On top of that, not only is this a great recipe to make for a summer dinner, but make a great make-ahead lunch.
Especially if you’re planning a weekend grilled steak dinner!
This recipe pulls inspiration from one of my favorite lunches that I grab from a local eatery.
It’s light, and has tons of flavor, and is just too good to sleep on!
What You’ll Need for the Dressing
What I love about this recipe, is you don’t necessarily need to cook your protein the day of. Cook an extra strip of flank steak with dinner the night before – maybe grill an ear of corn or too as well.
The dressing is where the magic happens.
Lemon Juice: A citrusy addition that brightens up the dressing and enhances the overall taste.
Lime Juice: A burst of limey freshness that takes the dressing to the next level, and adds a hint of sweetness.
Whole Cumin Seeds: These tiny seeds bring a warm, earthy flavor and add depth to the dressing.
Avocado: Creamy and dreamy, avocado makes the dressing velvety smooth and satisfying.
Jalapeno: For the spice lovers, the jalapeno kicks the dressing up a notch with its mild heat.
Olive Oil: A dash of olive oil binds all the flavors together, giving the dressing a luscious texture.
Sour Cream: Creamy, tangy, and utterly delightful – sour cream rounds out the dressing, making it irresistibly delicious.
Salt: The essential seasoning that brings out all the flavors in the salad and dressing.
To create this culinary masterpiece, you’ll need a few kitchen essentials:
A grill (outdoor or stovetop) for that perfect char on the steak and corn.
A blender or food processor to whip up the tantalizing cilantro lime dressing.
A sharp knife to slice the steak, avocado, and jalapeno with finesse.
A large mixing bowl to toss all the salad ingredients together.
A whisk for blending the dressing ingredients.
Tips on Storage and Bringing it to Work
My day at the office is a whirlwind. I get super zoned in while working, especially when it’s a programming project. So having a lunch that I can bring to work without having to leave (and isn’t nuked!) is a major win!
When storing for the next day you want to keep it all separated.
That’s where Rubbermaid comes in clutch!
Using airtight food Containers like Rubbermaid Brilliance containers allows me to keep my salad, protein, and dressing separated, and organized.
And a good salad is always best assembled just before serving for the best taste and texture.
That’s why I like bringing everything separated in my Rubbermaid Food Containers, then assembling it all at work.
And watching everyone’s mouth water over the best salad that has ever existed!
Preparation and Cooking Tips:
For the grilled flank steak, give it a dry brine over night to seal in that flavor.
When grilling the corn, make sure to turn it occasionally for even charring, giving it that smoky appeal.
To avoid overpowering the dressing with the jalapeno’s heat, remove the seeds and inner membranes before adding it to the blender.
For a creamier dressing, add more sour cream; for a thinner consistency, increase the amount of lime juice.
Grilling your steak
When I grill up my steak for a recipe like this, I like to keep it simple. A good steak link flank, strip or even a rib eye, has a lot of flavor on its own, is nice and tender and doesn’t need much
If you’re grilling this on the weekend and making extra, I highly recommend going the smoked and cold-grate searing method, to allow your steak to get an extra depth of flavor.
I’d also recommend hitting medium doneness for a salad. I love medium rare steak as much as the next steak lover, but for a salad, its better medium.
How To make Grilled Steak Salad with cilantro lime dressing
Grill the Steak and Corn: Preheat your grill and cook the marinated flank steak to your desired doneness. At the same time, grill the corn until slightly charred. Let both the steak and corn rest for a few minutes before slicing and removing the corn kernels.
Make the Cilantro Lime Dressing: In a blender, combine cilantro, avocado, jalapeno, lime juice, lemon juice, cumin seeds, sour cream, olive oil, and a pinch of salt. Blend until smooth and creamy.
Assemble the Salad: In a large bowl, toss the spring salad mix, grilled corn, and sliced steak. Drizzle the tantalizing cilantro lime dressing over the salad, and toss gently to coat.
Serve and Savor: Dish up this zesty delight onto plates or bowls. Garnish with some extra cilantro and lime wedges if you’re feeling fancy. Now, sit back, relax, and enjoy every bite!
This zesty and refreshing salad with its grilled steak, charred corn, and zingy Cilantro Lime Dressing is a surefire hit for lunch or dinner on any occasion.
The steps are simple, the flavors are bold, and the result is a culinary delight that will impress your family and friends. Enjoy the deliciousness, my friends!
Try adding grilled bell peppers and red onions to the salad for extra color and flavor.
For a Tex-Mex twist, add some black beans, diced tomatoes, and shredded cheese to the salad.
If you prefer a different protein, swap the flank steak for grilled chicken or shrimp.
For a vegetarian option, omit the steak and add grilled portobello mushrooms or tofu instead.
Grilled Steak Salad with Cilantro Lime Dressing
- 1 lb flank steak
- 1 ear corn
- 1 cup cilantro
- 1 avocado peeled and pitted
- 1 jalapeno seeds and membranes removed
- 2 limes juiced
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1/4 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Grill the Steak and Corn: Preheat your grill to medium-high heat. Season the flank steak with salt, black pepper, and garlic powder on both sides. Grill the steak for approximately 4-5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Set the steak aside to rest for a few minutes. At the same time, lightly brush the ear of corn with olive oil and sprinkle it with a pinch of salt. Grill the corn for about 10-12 minutes, turning occasionally, until slightly charred. Once done, set the corn aside to cool for a moment before slicing off the kernels.
- Prepare the Cilantro Lime Dressing: In a blender or food processor, combine the fresh cilantro leaves, peeled and pitted avocado, deseeded jalapeno, lime juice, lemon juice, whole cumin seeds, sour cream, olive oil, salt, and black pepper. Blend until smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust the seasoning to your liking. Transfer the dressing to a container with a lid and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Assemble the Salad: In a large mixing bowl, toss the spring salad mix (or your favorite greens) with the grilled corn kernels.
- Slice the Steak and Add to the Salad: Thinly slice the grilled flank steak against the grain. Add the sliced steak to the salad mix.
- Drizzle with Cilantro Lime Dressing and Serve: Drizzle some of the zesty Cilantro Lime Dressing over the salad. Toss gently to ensure all the ingredients are coated. Garnish with extra cilantro leaves and lime wedges, if desired. Serve the Cilantro Lime Grilled Steak Salad immediately and savor the explosion of flavors!