Have you ever tried a grilled donut before? It’s pretty much the best thing to do with day old donuts. You want to know whats ever better? Making a warm ice cream sandwich with them and smothering it with a Blackberry and Blueberry reduction.
Grilling day old donuts is something I’ve been wanting to do for awhile now but could never get around to having any donuts left over. So I bought enough to make sure I could have a few left over with a promise to the family if they left them alone I’d make something amazing with them!
Making a Grilled Donut
I used some glazed donuts and they were perfect for grilling. The sugar begins to caramelize and when they cool it turns into a candy-like shell on the donut. It only takes a few minutes for a donut to into this caramelized bite of heaven. Seriously, when I’m on a cheat day I’m going all out and making a grilled donut. every. single. time.
And the combination of cold and warm is just so comforting! This Blackberry and Blueberry reduction simmered in honey and a little lemon size almost makes this feel like a pie a la mode more than an ice cream sandwich. And I’m really OK with that. I’m not losing any sleep at night, I promise you!
So pick up a fork and knife and dig in, and spoon up all the melted ice cream mixed with the sauce and get ready for blue smiles! You’ll get what I’m talking about when you make it.
This sauce is perfect hot or cold by the way, it’s amazing right off the skillet, or let it cool down and thicken up and pour it over your ice cream, or in the morning, on your pancakes, waffles, or french toast!
Whats even better about this recipe is it’s a perfect desert to bring to a camping trip! Everything can be cooked on the grill. Store the ice cream in the cooler (obviously) and let everyone spoon out the ice cream and blackberry blueberry sauce onto the grilled donut and enjoy all that nature has to provide.
On To The Recipe
Grilled Donut Ice Cream Sandwich With Blackberry Blueberry Sauce
- 4 whole Donuts Day old preferred
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 cup honey
- In a skillet combine blueberries, black berries, lemon zest, honey and water and place on a grill at around 300-350 Fahrenheit. Let it cook for about 10 minutes
- Cut your donuts in half.
- Let the berry mixture cook down for another 10 minutes until it's reduced to the consistency of your liking. I added another handful fresh blueberries at this point and took it off the heat.
- Grill your donuts for about 2 minutes on each side until the glaze melts and caramelizes. It will get a too hard if you cook for too long so keep an eye on it.
- Take a scoop of ice cream and top with the berries placing the other half of the donut on top. Cover with some more berries if you want! Enjoy!