Brussel sprouts were always that one “eww!” vegetable growing up as a child. It was always mushy, and the flavors were just weird to me as a kid. Now that I am a mature adult (I use the term “mature” loosely), I actually like brussel sprouts a alot, and when cooked right they’re something everyone will love!
I put together a simple combination of garlic powder, onion powder, salt pepper, and a giving them a little heat from some ground cayenne pepper, that really makes these brussel sprouts shine on the side of any dish! With a little smokiness from the grill, I think this is going to be one of my go to sides for the summer!
One thing I’ve notice about brussel sprouts is how thirsty they are for olive oil! They soak it up really well and when preparing the brussel sprouts for the grill, I almost wanted to stop and just eat them raw for a salad because they started looking so appetizing just as they were!
I cooked my brussel sprouts in a cast on skillet on the grill for one reason, I’m lazy and I don’t want to fuss with losing any in between the grates. If you’re like me and don’t have a vegetable grate for your grill, a skillet works perfectly, and cooking alon side your protein or a smoker box will make sure you get that “grilled” flavor into these bad boys!
Also, make sure when you cook these, that you start face down, the face being the middle section after you split them in half. That way you get that nice char and caramelization on the inside. Also part 2, don’t be afraid to undercook. I’m such a proponent of erring to the side of undercooking when it comes to vegetables, especially brussel sprouts. No one likes mushy veggies. No one.
On To The Recipe
Grilled Brussel Sprouts
- 1 pound brussel sprouts
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp salt cut in half if you're watching the sodium
- 2 tsp granulated garlic
- 2 tsp granulated onion
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- Rinse and cut your brussel sprouts in half
- mix together salt, granulated onion, and garlic.
- In a large bowl combine brussel sprouts, olive oil and seasonings; toss.
- Place in you skillet and sprinkle cayenne and black pepper; turn the brussel sprouts flat-side down.
- Cook on the grill along side your meat/proteins about 4 minutes until the side facing the skillet is nice and charred . Turn and cook for about a minute.
- Set aside and serve with your favorite main dish. Enjoy!