I’ve never thought about making french toast bagel. But this morning, I had an idea that I needed to try. Combining my favorite breakfasts. A Bagel breakfast sandwich and french toast. I have to admit, it came out pretty darn amazing!
For bagels to take on the role of french toast bagels, they need to be soaked in your egg and milk for longer than your normal bread. They hold up really well so err to the side of soaking longer than shorter.
Similar to my ultimate breakfast sandwich, I added egg, cheese and bacon to turn this into a sweet and savory breakfast sandwich. The French toast bagels, hold up to becoming a sandwich.
Then you get a bite of egg, cheese and smokey bacon, with the hint of cinnamon from the french toast on the back end. It’s an amazing way to treat the family on a Saturday morning!
This is one of those recipes where there’s a lot of moving parts. I recommend baking your bacon. While the bacon is in the oven, start making your eggs. Store the eggs in a bowl (I like to store them in the microwave). Then begin cooking your French toast bagels.
I also like to put everything together, then place the bagel in the oven until the cheese is nice and melted just to make sure its nice and hot when its served.
A french toast bagel breakfast sandwich is going to be a hit for breakfast. If you’re feeling like getting your hands dirty add a little maple syrup, or get a little spicy with some hot sauce!
French Toast Bagel Breakfast Sandwich
French Toast bagels
- 3 whole eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
- 2 whole bagels
- 4 tbsp butter
Eggs and Bacon
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 whole eggs
- 6 strips bacon
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- Place strips of bacon on a cooling rack over a cookie sheet to collect drippings; Place in oven while preheating to 350F
- While bacon is cooking, mix together milk, eggs, cinnamon, and vanilla extract into a 13x13 (or similar size) baking dish.
- Mix 6 eggs in a bowl with salt until scrambled. Cook in the pan with butter on medium heat, stirring occasionally, until eggs are fully cooked and coagulated; about 5-7 minutes. Set eggs aside.
- Heat up a pan with 2 tbsp butter. Place 2 bagel halves into french toast mix until fully soaked on each sides; about 1 minute.
- Cook in the pan about 2 minutes on each side. Set aside; repeat step for additional bagel halves with an additional tbsp of butter as needed in the pan. Set bagels aside.
- When the bacon is cooked, remove from the oven. Top bagel with eggs, cheese, and bacon. Place the sandwich in the oven on the cooling rack for about 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Let sit for a couple minutes and serve. Enjoy!