I’ve been having a craving for chilaquiles lately for some reason and I don’t know why. But I thought this would be a good chance to post a chilaquiles recipe up on the blog. But I wanted to make it more like a nacho plate- because I’ve been craving nachos too!
I decided to make a chilaquiles style nacho recipe with chorizo and egg making it a perfect brunch or “breakfast for dinner” meal. They’re cheesy and full of flavor from the chorizo and chile sauce. Then you have a runny egg all over everything! YES!
Normally a chile sauce for chilaquiles has some tomato base to it but I wanted the sauce to be a little thicker for nachos. I felt by adding more liquid to it would turn the nachos too mushy after being in the oven for the eggs to cook. It turned out great and has more of a bold flavor to it this way too!
Prep for the Chilaquiles Sauce
This sauce is based from my Spicy Red Chile Sauce, then added chorizo to the sauce. You can make this a couple days ahead and top it on your nachos when you’re ready to cook making this a super fast meal to make on a weeknight!
These chilaquiles nachos don’t need to be with just chorizo and eggs either, put whatever your heard desires on them, refreid beans, rice, tofu. top it with lime and jalapeno. Even top with a chorizo and egg scramble!
Chilaquiles with Chorizo Nachos
- 3 whole dried ancho peppers
- 1 tsp cumin
- 3 whole dried guajillo peppers
- 1 whole garlic clove
- 8 oz chorizo
- 1/4 cup yellow onion chopped
- 1/2 bag chips
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 4 whole eggs
- Boil the dried peppers in about 1 cup of water until soft; about 5-10 minutes.
- in a food processor, add garlic cumin and the peppers with stems removed. Add about another cup of water and blend.
- You may need to add a little more water, or tomato sauce to get the consistency to your liking. ad a pinch of salt to taste. Set aside or store in the fridge up to 3 days.
- In a pan with 1 tbsp of olive oil, cook chorizo and your onion for about 5 minutes and drain.
- pour about 2 cups of the red chile sauce into the pan along with the chorizo and let cook down for a minute or two.
- With your oven preheated to 450, add chips cheese, the chorizo red chile sauce and top with 4 eggs. Tip: make a little crater in the spots where you want the eggs to sit so that they don't slip to the sides when you crack open.
- Serve as a side, or along some rice and beans. Enjoy!