This chicken gnocchi cheese soup has a little something for everyone in the family. Shredded chicken, tender gnocchi, and a velvety cheese soup that is soooo good!
This is a quick and easy weeknight meal to throw together, using a rotisserie chicken, pre-made gnocchi, and Shredded Monterey Jack cheese from Old El Paso’s new line of shredded cheese.
We’re cheese lovers in our family, so any chance to add cheese to a dish we go for it!
And if you’re a cheesy family like us, check out Old El Paso’s America’s Cheesiest Family contest where you can submit a cheesy family photo for the chance to win a variety of great prizes including iPads, sporting tickets and a family trip for four to Yellowstone.
Contest Disclaimer: No purchase necessary. Ends 11:59 p.m. CT 5/5/20 25+. Details and Rules: cheesiestfamily.com
I went with Old El Paso Shredded Monterey Jack cheese for its delicate, buttery and slightly tart flavor. It adds the perfect punch and texture to this chicken gnocchi cheese soup!
This chicken gnocchi soup has a chicken and dumpling vibe, but with hints of Mexican and Italian cuisine from the gnocchi, and poblano pepper just to add a mild spice to it.
If you want to keep the heat out for the little ones, split this into two batches like I did to keep the kids happy.
I also added a little spinach to give a little more texture to this dish, but that’s up to you!
But whatever you do, don’t pass on the cheese. You can’t go with out that creamy, cheesy deliciousness that really takes this soup to the next level!
Chicken and Gnocchi Cheese Soup
- 1/2 yellow onion chopped
- 1 shredded carrot optional
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 poblano pepper chopped
- 1 whole rotisserie chicken hand shredded
- 4 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tsp salt more to taste
- 2 cups Old El Paso Monterey jack cheese
- 16 oz gnocchi
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- In a medium to large Dutch oven, sweat down onion, carrots, poblano pepper and garlic in butter. Stir in flour until aromatic; about 2-3 minutes.
- Slowly pour in milk , whisking frequently until thickened. Add in chicken broth, heavy cream and chicken. Add cumin, salt and pepper, then simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour in heavy cream and Old El Paso Monterey Jack cheese and stir until cheese is completely melted.
- Add in the gnocchi and cook for about 5 minutes. Your soup should be a little thin, which is perfect because the gnocchi will thicken it up at this point. Stir cilantro and top with more cheese and serve!