This post is sponsored by Barrila. All opinions are my own.
Chicken Caprese Pasta is the latest concoction I’m sharing today. It’s super easy to put together with the help of Barilla Pasta and Sauces, and gives me plenty of opportunity to get my son involved in the process. Sous Chef Brayden to the rescue!
With school back in session, along with a newborn in the house, things are starting to get pretty hectic around these parts. Before it’s time to worry about homework, juggle bathtime duties, and figuring out if this is milk or spit up on my shirt, I like to get the family wrangled up and sit down for dinner.
Now that my son is getting older, he really has started to take interest in all things dad does. It gives me a perfect opportunity to bond with him, by having him help out with putting dinner together with his old man!
This guy loves to help out in anyway possible. The second I ask him if he wants to help dad make a recipe he goes, “Oh yeah! Let me get my stool!” This 40″ little man doesn’t go anywhere without his stool to help him climb up and get into things, and it’s his weapon of choice when cooking with his dad.
Growing up Italian, nothing would beat coming home to a warm pasta dinner after school. Normally it was a spaghetti night, or sometimes chicken Alfredo, but one thing was always the same – pasta in the Barilla Blue Box.
My mom swore by this delicious semolina pasta, and would be offended if there was anything else in the house.
Barilla has some awesome combinations, taking the stress out of making dinner during this time of year. Something I’m sure my mother would have appreciated. I’m taking full advantage of BarillaAngel Hair Pasta and Barilla Traditional Basil Pesto, to rock this chicken caprese pasta tonight!
Once I had the chicken and pasta cooked to a perfect al dente, Brayden’s time to shine was upon us, and he got to help put dinner together with dad. You practically have to beg him to stop throwing tomatoes in the pasta. Or adding more basil, or.. Even just diving in and grabbing a handful of pasta.
Yeah… Looks like tonight’s dinner will be served family style a la Brayden. It is the Italian way, right?!
Chicken Caprese Pasta With Pesto Sauce
For the Pasta
- 1/2 lb Barilla® Angel Hair Pasta Uncooked
- 3 tbsp Barilla® Traditional Basil Pesto
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 2 oz fresh mozzarella cheese
For The Chicken
- 1 lb chicken breast thin sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 sprigs fresh oregano
- Bring 4-6 quarts of water to a boil, add salt to taste. Add pasta to boiling water. Boil for about 4 minutes for "al dente" an extra minute for more tender.
- While the water is boiling, add oil, and butter to a pan over medium heat. Add garlic, and chicken and let brown on once side for about 5-7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and turn. Season with a little more salt and pepper to taste and add sprigs of oregano and cook until internal temperature is 165°F; about 10 minutes total. Set on a cooling rack.
- Drain pasta, and place in a clean pan. Stir in pesto, add fresh basil, tomatoes. Top with chicken and fresh mozzarella. Serve family style and enjoy!