Cacio e Pepe, or “cheese and pepper” is probably one of the simplest pasta dishes to make.
Cheese, pepper and pasta – seriously don’t get simpler than that! And with a little added touch of some sautéed mushrooms for some added depth, this is a great weeknight dinner to make!
I’ve seen cacio e pepe done with rounder noodles like spaghetti, but I’m the only one in the family that likes spaghetti pasta.
Wierd right? Its a texture thing.
So fettucine noodles are what we’re making for this dish, but feel free to use your favorite pasta.
Cacio e pepe is great on its own, but I wanted to add a little but of bite to it with some sauteed mushrooms and a little crushed red pepper flakes.
The mushrooms are sautéed in butter with some oregano and basil – you can even use an italian seasoning blend from the spice section at the grocery store.
And I finished it off with some fresh chopped Italian parsley.
Now the cheese sauce comes together easily. Using some of the starch water from your pasta water along with a little olive oil (or butter) you’ll slowing add in your cheese and stir until it becomes nice and creaming.
Add your pasta in and stir it all up and crack some black pepper in and you’re good to go!
I used a blend of fresh parmesan and asiago cheese, you can use romano or a blend of any hard italian style cheese for this.
Cacio e pepe is done in about the time it takes to boil your pasta and makes a great weeknight dinner!
And for another italian style weeknight meal check out my 30 minute marinara!
Cacio e Pepe with Sautéed Mushrooms
- 1/2 lb fettucine spaghetti works too
- 1 oz parmesan cheese fresh
- 1 oz asiago cheese fresh
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp fresh cracked pepper
- 4 tbsp butter 2 tbsp separated
- 2 cups mushrooms sliced
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tbsp chopped Italian parsley
- pinch red pepper flakes
- Boil your pasta per directions on the box in water seasoned with about 1 tsp of salt
- While the pasta is boiling, in a pan heat up olive oil with fresh cracked peppercorn about 2 minutes, then reduce heat to low. Stir in butter.
- In a separate pan, Sautee sliced mushrooms in about 2 tbsp of butter for about 5 minutes. season with Italian seasoning and Italian parsley and set aside.
- When the pasta is ready transfer to the pan with tongs, then stir in about 3 tablespoons of the pasta water.
- Slowly add in cheese to the pasta and stir together. Drizzle about another tbsp of olive oil and stir until creamy and smooth.
- Serve and top with some more cheese and cracked pepper along with sautéed mushrooms. Optionally, finish with some crushed red pepper flakes for a little kick. Enjoy!