I’ve always been on the fence about brussel sprouts. Sometimes I like them, other times I just tolerate them. But I finally found whatthey were meant for in life, brussel sprout SALAD!
I had some chicken that I had going on the grill earlier in the day for my lunch prep, it’s nice and sunny out in California, and it was just one of those days where you just want something light and fresh for dinner. With some bacon already made earlier in the day and fresh brussel sprouts picked up, dinner basically made itself
If you already have the protein made, this is an incredibly fast salad to make! Using a simple honey mustard vinaigrette recipe from scratch, the flavors all come together and with the addition of a little Gorgonzola (aka bleu cheese), brussel sprout salad is probably now my most favorite salad bar none!
I’m not a doctor, but the brussel sprouts do something when the vinaigrette is introduced to them that make them so delicious! The texture is totally different that what you’d expect from a brussel sprout. The flavor is amazing, and if you don’t think the kids will like it, you’d be amazed. I actually had my son wanting more after taking the first bite. Not something that happens in this house without dousing ketchup or ranch all over it!
This is a great idea for a day where you have some leftover proteins that you want to do something with. None of the protein I used in this dish was cooked for this meal, The eggs and bacon were leftover from the morning, and the chicken was already in the fridge from earlier in the day. See? Simple.
Just a quick tip here, get the loose brussel sprouts, not the packaged stuff, the fresher the better, so if you have a local farmers market, this would be ideal for the salad!
On To The Recipe
Brussel Sprout Salad With Honey Mustard Vinaigrette
- 1 lb brussel sprouts
- 1 medium shallot
- 4 strips cooked bacon
- 4 oz gargonzola cheese or bleu cheese
- 1 lb chicken breast optional
- 4 whole hardboiled eggs optional
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp honey dijon mustard
- 1 tsp fresh cracked pepper
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp chopped shallots
- 1 clove garlic
- Chop the based from each brussel sprout making it easier to peel each leaf off placing into a colander. I left the cores out of the salad, but that's up to you. Rinse the brussel sprouts in the colander and set aside.
- Thinly slice your shallot. take about 1 tbsp and mince along with 1 clove of garlic
- Mix the olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt, pepper and honey dijon mustard in a small bowl.
- mix in the shallot and garlic into the dressing and set aside.
- Crumble your bacon and Gorgonzola cheese
- in a large bowl, toss in the brussel sprout leaves with shallots and dressing.
- lightly mix in the cheese and bacon
- Chop some chicken, and egg and serve for dinner, or leave the chicken and egg out and serve as a side. Enjoy!