Fish Tacos Meet Nachos. Think of these beer marinated fish taco nachos, as a deconstructed fish taco. These nachos are topped with Beer marinated halibut, black bean, 3 different cheese, and a little radish and avocado lime sauce to really give it that fresh and light fish taco feel. It’s absolutely delicious!
So I wanted to put together a street taco meets nacho recipe. My first thought was “carne asada!” but my wife gave me that look, and was like ‘Why don’t you ever cook with fish, you know I love fish?!”
Well, ok. Fish it is! And It was a great choice. I took some beer, lime, cumin, smoked paprika to marinate my fish in. Today I used halibut, since we had some in the freezer from my last fish recipe. You can use any white fish. Tilapia, cod, orange roughy. It will all work!
In California Winter only lasts about a week. So I had the opportunity to throw all of this right on the grill. It was a nice change since I’m always making our kitchen explode. Cooking outside is so much easier for me. I don’t know how I do it but things seem to e a little easier to clean up when I’m outside grilling.
And this avocado lime sauce is delicious! Hint: make extra, because it will double as a good salad dressing. You know, for the carne asada you bought for a recipe that never happened. Or did it?
Beer Marinated Fish Taco Nachos With Spicy Avocado Lime Sauce
FISH TACO NACHOS
- 3/4 lb halibut any thick white fish will do
- 12 oz dark mexican beer
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 cups corn tortilla chips not exact. a good amount ; )
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar
- 12 oz can black beans drained
- 1/2 cup cojita cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped radishes
SPICY AVOCADO SAUCE
- 2 whole avocado
- 2 whole lime
- 1 whole jalapeno
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 cloves garlic
MARINATE THE FISH
- In a large bowl, soak halibut in beer, cumin, smoked paprika, and salt. Mince garlic and add stir into marinade. Cover and set in the refrigerator.
MAKE THE AVOCADO SAUCE
- Spoon avocado into a food processor. squeeze in lime juice, then ad jalapeno, cilantro, salt pepper, and garlic cloves. Puree until completely smooth. Store in fridge until ready.
COOK THE NACHOS
- Preheat grill to medium high heat. Place halibut on direct heat, and let cook for about 2-4 minutes on each side until center is white and flaky. Chop into chunks and set aside.
- Place chips in a skillet, top with mozzarella and cheddar cheese. Top with black beans and fish (Optionally you can add some sliced jalapeno for more heat _. place on the grill and cover. Cook until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Top fish taco nachos with spicy avocado lime dressing, cojita cheese and radishes. Enjoy!