Chimichurri sauce has been on my mind lately. We had them at a food truck a while ago and I was instantly hooked, and have been wanting to make some for awhile. With school getting out for the kids, this is a perfect excuse to make some for the foodie in your family and throw it on top of fries and a bacon wrapped hot dog!
Yeah sure I can hear you know “but, why aren’t you just eating them separate?”. I’ll answer your question with another question “Why aren’t you NOT just eating them separate?!” Think about it. It’s a really fun dinner to put together and eating fries, let along chimichurri fries on top of any meal is a win!
What The Crap IS Chimichurri?!
So if you haven’t heard about Chimichurri Sauce, yet let me tell you a little something about it. IT’S AMAZING! I almost want to categorize it as a south american pesto sauce. It’s primarily parsley with cilantro, olive oil, garlic and a few other ingredients that vary depending on where you look.
I put together my own version of chimichurri sauce using lemon juice, cumin and some red pepper flakes. You’ll definitely want to make a giant batch of it! But just a fair warning, if it’s date night and you want to actually get lucky tonight, go light on the garlic. I put 3 large cloves in the batch I made, and although it was amazing, it was a tad too much garlic and our breath was pretty bad. So keep it to 2 medium sized cloves or just be at that level with your significant other!
Let’s just all admire the fact that there’s chimichurri fries sitting on top of a bacon wrapped hot dog for a second here. All the flavors come together so well! You get a juicy all beef frank wrapped in crispy salty bacon along with the crunch from the fries and bold flavors from chimichurri. In one bite. Just think about that. You good? I’ll wait…
So set up your make believe food truck for when the kids get home serve everyone up some chimichurri fries on top of a bacon wrapped hot dog, and watch their faces. It’s going to be worth the whole 20 minutes it took to put this together, I promise!
On To The Recipe
Bacon Wrapped Hot Dog With Chimichurri Fries Topping
- 2 cup italian parsley about 1 bunch without stems
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 3 medium garlic cloves
- 1/2 whole lemon
Hot Dog with Fries
- 4 bun-sized hot dog
- 4 whole french rolls
- 4 strips bacon
- 1/2 lb Frozen French Fries Shoestring or crispy seasoned works well
- Preheat your oven to the temperature needed to cook your french fries (probably 400 or 450). In a food processor combine all your chimichurri sauce ingredients, squeezing lemon juice into the food processor.
- Pulse for about 5 seconds about 10-15 times until you get a smooth consistency with large bits of cilantro and parsely; set aside. Your fries will be ready to put into the oven at this point.
- Wrap your hot dogs with bacon. I find patting the hot dogs dry helps to keep the bacon to stick, using a toothpick on the ends to keep the bacon from unraveling helps too!
- Grill at around 250-300 so that there's enough heat to cook the bacon but not burn the hot dog. Should take about 15-20 minutes. Remember to keep an eye on your fries too!
- Place the hotdog in a toasted bun (you can put other condiments on if you like top) place a handful of fries and a liberal amount of chimichurri sauce on top. Take a big bite and enjoy!