Baked Beans are one of my specialty sides. I love cooking them up with good barbecue food, or even, you know, since today is Easter, as a side with ham!
This baked bean recipe is all from scratch. Pinto beans baked with a homemade barbecue sauce, then loaded with bacon and some roasted jalapeno for some added flavor and dimension.
My baked bean recipe is smokey, sweet, and has a little heat. Everything I love about making baked beans.
Yout can even make them ahead, then finish them in the oven to get that carmelization of the sugar on top. This is a for sure crowd pleaser!
Bacon Jalapeno Baked Beans
- 32 oz Pinto Beans drained
- 1 lb bacon
- 1 stick butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 15 oz tomato sauce
- 1 whole jalapeno
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- Cook bacon in a pan. While the bacon is cooking melt butter and stir in brown sugar in a pot over medium heat. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 3 minutes
- While the butter is melting, place your over the flame to get a char all around the pepper. About 2 minutes. De-seed and dice.
- Stir in tomato sauce, jalapeno, worcestershire sauce, apple cider vinegar, garlic powder, cumin, ground mustard, salt and cayenne pepper. simmer for about 5 minutes.
- in a separate pot, pour in pinto beans along with barbecue sauce. stir in about half of the bacon and simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour the beans into a baking dish, and sprinkle about 1/4 cup of brown sugar along with remaining bacon. Optionally add more jalapeno. Back at 375 for 20 minutes covered in tin-foil. Remove the tin foil and bake for another 15 minutes. Let cool and serve.