This post is sponsored by Walmart and SheKnows Media.
Dealing with changes can be tough. We’re going through our first of school with our little guy and trying to establish new routines.
So, every ounce of help we can get during the week is a must! I’ve been playing with meal prep but have never taken it too seriously. But with school now in full force, I really need to cut corners during weekly meals.
Walmart has these easy-to-use Meal Prep Containers from Mainstays that really make meal prep something I feel like I can get the hang of. They come in a 30-piece pack, which means you get 15 containers with matching lids – all for under $10! Plus, you can toss these stackable containers in the freezer, microwave and dishwasher.
For our first week back at school, I’m sharing a few things I’ve meal prepped that take no time at all to prepare and you have dinner, snacks and even a lunch ready to go for the week!
One of my favorite easy recipes to make is pasta salad. It’s super easy to prepare, you can make a lot affordably, and its versatile as a light lunch, or a side dish for dinner.
Portioned out for two people in a Mainstays Meal Prep Food Storage Container and stacked up neatly in my fridge and one meal is ready to go for the week!
1 box multi colored rotini pasta
½ cup Italian dressing
½ cup chopped olives
1 green bell pepper
1 cup chopped cherry tomatoes
¼ cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
Boil pasta for about 10 minutes until al dente. Strain and stir in Italian dressing.
Add chopped olives, chopped bell pepper, cherry tomatoes and parmesan. Portion out into Mainstays Meal Prep Food Storage Containers and let cool in the fridge.
This is one of my favorites, it’s so easy to make, especially in bulk. My son has been on a “Green Enchiladas” kick for the past year and I have one easy go-to meal that I know he’ll eat without question. Meal prepping enchiladas for dinner is a no-brainer!
½ lb shredded chicken (check out this recipe if you want to make some from scratch)
3 cups shredded cheese
16oz enchilada Verde sauce
- In a pan, pour enchilada verde sauce until it fills the pan to about ½ inch. Heat on low. Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Place each tortilla in the sauce and let it warm up until the tortilla is pliable.
- Take the tortilla and place on a plate, fill with cheese and chicken and roll up. Place in a bakin dish; repeat until dish is full. Top with a little more verde sauce and cheese.
- Cook in the oven for about 15 minutes.
- TO store, place bean and two enchiladas per Mainstays Meal Prep Food container. Stack in the fridge.
- To Reheat: place in the microwave for about 1 minute; enjoy!
Veggies and Hummus
This is a my quick and easy after school snack. Already prepped and enough to share with a couple kids, or just share with the family after everyone gets home from the busy day!
I’m using a homemade hummus recipe with garbanzo beans, but to make this even easier, feel free to grab some hummus off the shelf and you have snacks prepped for the week in a matter of minutes!
15 oz garbanzo beans
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp water
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp red wine vinegar
1 small garlic cloves
1/2 whole lemon
- Place garbanzo beans into a food processor
- the juice out of the lemon into the processor, using your hand as a strainer to prevent seeds from getting through.
- Add the garlic clove (peeled of course), with the cumin and salt. Add in the red wine vinegar and about 2 tbsp of olive oil to start.
- Blend for about 2 minutes. If it still has a chunky consistency, it’s because it’s not wet enough to move through the food processor easily. Add at most another 1 tbsp of olive oil, then, if needed, 1 tbsp of water to thin it out so you can get it blended to the right consistency. Blend time shouldn’t be any longer than about 4 minutes total
- Store on top of your favorite dipping veggies in a Mainstays Meal Prep Food Container. Stack in the fridge and you have after school snacks done!
I really hope this gave you some meal-prep-spiration for this back to school season. I think I’ll be doing more bulk recipes down the line with my son officially in school, so I’d love to hear what you guys would like to see!
Be sure to check out Mainstays Meal Prep Food Containers only available at your local Walmart!