Getting into that January “I’m going to get fit” kick is quite a challenge. You get used to eating rich and delicious food and going off cold turkey can be rough. This Sweet Potato breakfast skillet is a great way to ease you back into eating right and gives the family a lot of energy before going out and conquering the day!
I’m topping them off with an egg white(ish) scramble mixed with some spinach, bell pepper, and a little red onion for flavor. Adds a lot of nutrients and tons of flavor with the sweetness of the potatoes, you’re not going to have much issue with downing a healthier breakfast!
If you’re like me, and a little skittish around the though of scrambled eggs using purely egg whites, adding one whole egg to the mix makes it more appealing to me, and as you get use to the though you can wean yourself off the egg yolk.
Using sweet potatoes instead of Idaho/russet potatoes adds a whole new dynamic to a breakfast skillet that I find quite intriguing. Adds a little sweetness to a savory dish and makes it a nice change of pace if you’re a big potato family like ours! Plus, I can’t emphasize enough how nutrient rich sweet potatoes and all the benefits they have.
The scramble is really up to your taste as far as what you’d like to add into it. I love bell pepper and spinach with a little mozzarella mixed into the scrambled eggs, but if that’s not your cup of tea, feel free to add whatever you and the family enjoy. Maybe a little bacon, mushrooms or top it off with some avocado and Pico De Gallo. The possibilities are endless!
So get up a little early this weekend, and spend 30 minutes in the kitchen to start the day off right, make a great breakfast, and get out and enjoy the day! ????????????
Sweet Potato Breakfast Skillet with Egg White Scramble
- 2 cups sweet potatoes cubed
- 1/2 whole bell pepper
- 1/4 cup red onion
- 1 tbsp green onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 10 whole eggs yolk separated
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cracked pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- Peel your sweet potatoes, chop into about 1/2 inch cupes, and soak in cold water for about ten minutes. Drain, pat dry and season with about 1 tsp of sea salt
- In a skillet heated on medium with 2 tbsp of olive oil, begin cooking your sweet potatoes, about 15 minutes flipping every 5 minutes. Don't touch too often so that they don't break down too much!
- While the potatoes are cooking, coarsely chop your green and red onions, half a bell pepper, and spinach; mince your garlic and set aside.
- After about 5-7 minutes, mix in the red onion into the sweet potatoes and continue cooking..
- While the potatoes continue to cook, separate the egg yolk from the eggs, leaving only the egg white. If you want leave a couple yolks if you don't like pure egg white scrambled eggs : )
- Whisk for about 15 seconds with 1 tsp of salt and pepper; set aside.
- In a second pan melt butter at medium heat. Once melted cook the garlic and bell peppers for about 1 minutes
- Check your potatoes, they should be close to finished and you should be able to easily bite through the potato. Turn the heat off and let stand while the eggs cook.
- Add in the egg whites, scrambling every 30 seconds until they begin to coagulate; About 5 minutes.
- When the eggs are close to finished, turn the heat off, mix in the cheese and spinach, letting it stand for about 1 minute, with a lid on to let the spinach cook a little. Place on top of the Sweet potatoes in the skillet
- Serve with some green onions on top and enjoy!